WVLS Update – April 2012
Speak Out for Libraries!
National Library Legislative Day may be over, but there is still time to participate virtually! Running from April 23-27, Virtual Library Legislative Day provides an opportunity for those unable to make it to Washington D.C, to contact members of Congress remotely, either by telephone or email.
To take action, visit the ALA website to find talking points, a link to contact information for members of Congress, and bookmarks and posters to print, email or post to library websites.
As Congress continues to make cuts to libraries across the nation, this is an especially important time to make your voice heard on Capitol Hill. Please, take a few minutes to participate in this event and make a difference for libraries.
Long-time WVLS staffer KATHY LEITZA has announced she will be retiring at the end of June. Kathy worked for the Marathon County Public Library from 1985-1988, and then transferred over to WVLS when the delivery/courier service position became available. For almost 24 years, Kathy has been responsible for the courier/mail operation and for most of the tasks involved in the deposit collection service, and her strong work ethic and dedicated service will surely be missed.
An updated job description will be shared with the WVLS Board of Trustees in May and an employment opportunity posted shortly thereafter.
Also, WVLS might secure another intern! Recently we learned that a UW-Madison School of Libraries and Information Studies student is interested in pursuing an internship with us. Over the next few weeks we will be in contact with the School and the student to learn more about this opportunity and determine if a placement is likely. If the placement should occur, the student will complete a 120-hour practicum in the area of database and ILS management sometime between June and August.
The 2012 System Survey
About a month ago, the 2012 System Survey was shared with area library staff and trustees. To have input into the future direction of WVLS, please complete the online survey by Friday, May 18th. (If a paper copy of the survey is preferred, please contact the WVLS office.)
2011 Statistics/System Benefits Report
The 2011 Statistics are completed and WVLS is now working on the 2011 System Benefits Report for each county. Our goal is to distribute the completed reports to public library directors, library board presidents, county library board chairs, area legislators and DLTCL staff by the end of May.
- April 23-27 - Virtual Library Legislative Day - click on the VLLD link at the National Library Legislative Day website.
- May 3 - WPLC webinar - "Digital Media Buying Pool" - contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- May 4 - Special Needs Consultants annual meeting - DeForest.
- May 8 - Recall Primary Election.
- May 8-9 - WiscNet Future Technologies Conference - Madison.
- May 9 - SRLAAW meeting - Stevens Point.
- May 10-11 - Wisconsin Association of Public Libraries (WAPL) Conference - Stevens Point.
- May 15 - WVLS workshop - "Get in the Game! Advocacy as a Contact Sport" - Minocqua Public Library - for details and to register, contact Kris at email@example.com
- May 17 - WVLS Listening/Sharing session - Abbotsford Public Library.
- May 18 - Council on Library and Network Development (COLAND) meeting - Whitewater.
- May 19 - WVLS Board of Trustees meeting - Marathon County Public Library.
That's all the news for now! Anything new and exciting at your library? If so, let us know!