· Officers and Executive Committee members were elected. Officers include: PRESIDENT - Alice Sturzl (Forest County); VICE PRESIDENT – Douglas Lay (Marathon County); and TREASURER – Michael Otten (Marathon County). Other members of the Executive Committee: Audrey Ascher and Kris Uhlig (Marathon County); Tom Brobofsky (Clark County); and Paul Knuth (Oneida County).
· Also, an appropriation was approved to help cover unexpected costs associated with the V-Cat Council’s project to migrate the online catalog to a new ILS (integrated library system) later on this year.
· An appropriation was approved to provide collection development grants to public libraries that plan to pay their share of the WPLC (Wisconsin Public Library Consortium) Million Dollar Digital Content Buying Pool Initiative in 2012. The WVLS grant will cover the cost of each library’s allocation plus an additional 10%. Libraries which have thus far notified us of their intention to participate include: Abbotsford, Antigo, Greenwood, Laona, Loyal, Medford, Merrill, MCPL, Minocqua, Owen, Rhinelander, Rib Lake, Stetsonville, Thorp, Three Lakes, Tomahawk and Withee.
WVLS will cover the cost for those libraries that have chosen to not participate in the WPLC Buying Pool in 2012.
NOTE: While all 17 public library systems agreed to participate in the WPLC Buying Pool last fall, we recently received results of a survey sent to public library systems which indicated…
… Libraries in 8 systems (Arrowhead, Eastern Shores, Kenosha, Lakeshores, Manitowoc-Calumet, Nicolet, Outagamie-Waupaca and Winnefox) are paying 100% of the WPLC Buying Pool allocation. No system funding is being used.
… 5 systems (Indianhead, Milwaukee, South Central and Winding Rivers and WVLS) are covering a percentage [50% or less] of their libraries’ total allocation.
… 3 systems (Mid-Wisconsin, Northern Waters, Southwest and WVLS are paying 100% of their libraries’ allocation.
… 1 system did not respond to the survey.
· Northcentral Technical College student Juan Quintero began his 10-week internship with WVLS on January 31st. He will primarily assist the Tech Team with in-house technology projects.
· The WVLS Technology Support Special position was recently reposted. Interviews are anticipated to occur over a two-day period next week.
· WVLS continues to contract with Elizabeth Scully to provide cataloging assistance and clean up some of the backlog.
LSTA Grants – 2012
- The Division for Libraries, Technology and Community Learning (DLTCL) has budgeted $300,000 in 2012 LSTA funds toward the $1,000,000 WPLC digital content buying pool. The purpose of this grant is to support and encourage expanded e-content to be made available to libraries and individuals statewide.
- A $10,000 LSTA Public Library Director Orientation grant will be awarded to one library system - but shared cooperatively amongst all 17 library systems - to provide two one-day “boot camps” for new library directors and other library staff.
- WVLS received a $27,300 LSTA Technology Grant to implement a unified wireless and wide area network security enhancement; make virtual desktop access available to interested members; and purchase mobile devices for all public libraries.
WVLS is very busy auditing public library annual reports and also working to complete the system annual report. Thus far, almost 50% of our member libraries have completed their reports. Under Wis. Stats. 43.58(6) public library annual reports need be completed and filed with DLTCL by March 1st. Any questions about the annual report should be directed to email@example.com
Public Library Directors – Mark Your Calendars!
The next WVLS Public Library Directors’ Retreat is slated for THURSDAY, APRIL 19th. This event is a great opportunity for directors to share their library stories, hear what’s happening in neighboring libraries and at the system, and learn from experiences of others. Please plan to attend. The more the merrier!
That’s all the news for now. Please keep in touch!
Marla Sepnafski, Director
WISCONSIN VALLEY LIBRARY SERVICE
300 N First Street
Wausau, WI 54403