· Eileen Grunseth, new representative from Taylor County, was welcomed by the board. Eileen replaces Donna Walbeck, who resigned in January following 30 years of service.
· The appropriation of collection development grants to libraries participating in the WPLC Buying Pool Initiative in 2012 was extended to cover those libraries that first participate in 2013. Given that WVLS will be covering 100% of the cost for those libraries not participating in 2012, the collection development grant will be in an amount that equals 10% of the 2012 allocation. (You may recall that in January the Board appropriated collection development grants to public libraries participating in the WPLC Million Dollar Digital Content Buying Pool Initiative in 2012. The grant was to cover each library’s WPLC 2012 allocation plus an additional 10 %.)
· Reclassifications of two staff members were approved. Effective June 1st, Inese Christman’s title will change from WVLS V-Cat Administrator to WVLS Assistant Director and, as such, she will assume additional responsibilities in the areas of budgeting and planning. Additionally, Juanita Thomas’s title was changed from WVLS Database Manager to WVLS Outreach Coordinator as she is now responsible for planning, promoting and providing continuing education, workshop/training opportunities for member libraries.
· Tomahawk Public Library Director Mary Dunn was appointed to the WVLS Library Advisory Committee for a 2-year term.
Additional Staff News
Joshua Klingbeil will be attending ALA’s National Library Legislative Day on April 23-24 at the Liaison Hotel in Washington, D.C. As a representative of SRLAAW (System and Resource Library Administrators Association of Wisconsin), he will be joining other library advocates from around the nation to talk to Wisconsin legislators about the importance of libraries.
In mid-March Shaun Howard was hired as a part-time Technology Support Specialist for WVLS. Shaun has extensive experience in technology and customer service and will devote most of his time to address member libraries’ computer- and network-related issues. He is scheduled to be in the office on Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week, and may be reached at email@example.com
Inese Christman and WVLS/MCPL trustee Audrey Ascher attended the 2012 PLA Conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from March 13-17, 2012. Also, Inese and fellow WVLS staffer Ann Mroczenski attended the 27th annual Computers in Libraries conference in Washington, DC from March 21-23, 2012. Highlights of those conferences will be shared at upcoming WVLS and MCPL board meetings, the Library Advisory Committee meeting and Public Library Directors’ Retreat.
Marla Sepnafski has been selected to participate in Leadership Wisconsin’s signature program. The goal of Leadership Wisconsin is to “develop leaders to strengthen communities” through a variety of programming opportunities. As one of the fellows of LW’s Group XV, Marla will join leaders throughout Wisconsin at 11 seminars conducted over a two-year period – there will be eight 3-day seminars dealing with cutting edge issues held in various locations across the State, a one-week national seminar conducted in Washington DC, a one-week regional seminar somewhere in the U.S. and a two-week seminar held in another country.
ProjectsWork on WVLS 2011 Audit Begins
Administrative staff is assisting the Krause, Howard and Co., SC to complete the 2011 audit of WVLS financial records. We expect to share a final audit report with the WVLS Board of Trustees in May.
The 2012 System Survey
The 2012 System Survey was recently shared via the public library, school library and trustee listservs, and mailed to library board Presidents and county library board Chairs. If you would like to have input into the future direction of WVLS, please complete the online survey available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2012systemsurvey or return a paper copy of the completed survey to WVLS by Friday, May 18th.
Cost Per Circ Information
2011 cost per circulation data is being aggregated from the public library annual reports and will be shared with public library directors next week.
· March 29 – V-Cat Migration Committee meeting – MCPL – 10:00 a.m.
· April 5 – V-Cat Council meeting – MCPL – 9:30 a.m.
· April 6 – WVLS office closed.
· April 8 – 14 – National Library Week – theme: “You Belong @ Your Library” -http://www.ala.org/conferencesevents/celebrationweeks/natlibraryweek
· April 10 – Library Advisory Committee meeting – MCPL – 9:30 a.m.
· April 17 – WVLS Executive Committee meeting – MCPL – 4:00 p.m.
· April 19 – Retreat for Public Library Directors – details forthcoming.
· April 21-28 – “Money Smart Week @ Your Library” - http://www.moneysmartweek.org/ala
· April 22-29 – “Preservation Week” – http://www.ala.org/preservationweek
· April 23-24 – National Library Legislative Day - http://www.ala.org/nlld
That is all the news for now. What’s happening in your library? Please let us know!